Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Bluebonnets

It is that time of year again... The bluebonnets are starting to bloom and are begging to be painted. Each spring I teach a Bluebonnet Plein Air Painting workshop. When I paint outdoors, I start with a rough sketch of the area to be painted. I then move immediately into a more careful approach. After the sketch is completed, I carefully place each stroke taking care to check for correct value, color, placement, shape, etc. Of course, the painting is rarely finished when I leave. I usually bring it back to the studio to finish with the help of reference photos that I took when painting.

If you are looking for a good place to paint bluebonnets near Houston, they are usually in abundance around FM 390, FM 1155 between Washington and Chappell Hill or anywhere near Bovay Scout Camp.

1 comment:

  1. So beautiful. I love the colors. I can't imagine how many hours that must have taken.

    ReplyDelete