Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Rebecca and Adam

I completed this painting of Rebecca and Adam some months ago. I generally block in the entire painting and then work from back to front and dark to light. However, when I paint a portrait the method varies slightly in that I block the painting in and go to work immediately on the faces. I like to establish the important facial features before continuing. This allows me to achieve a certain level of finish in the painting early in the game. Then I return to the back to front, dark to light method to finish the painting, otherwise the edges are unnecessarily difficult.

Although I love the softness of the couples expressions, my favorite part of this painting is the wonderful crushed velvet texture on the top of the chair contrasted with the polished wood detail.

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca and Adam are lucky to have such a beautiful painting of them :)

    ReplyDelete